Candle causes bungalow blaze in Soulbury

Fire and Rescue News
Fire and Rescue News

Firefighters are urging people to take care with candles after a fire caused heavy smoke damage to a bungalow in Soulbury.

Crews from Bletchley, Broughton and Leighton Buzzard were called to the incident, which took place in High Road, and paramedics treated the occupier at the scene for the effects of breathing in smoke.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used two hose reels to put out the fire and a fan to clear the smoke. Station Commander Jeremy Williams, who attended the incident on Monday, March 13, said: “We believe the most likely cause was a candle which was on a desk in a bedroom. The occupier thought she had put it out before she went for a walk, but unfortunately we think it was still burning and she came back to find her home alight.”

The bedroom was severely damaged and there was heavy smoke damage throughout the bungalow.

Jeremy offered the following safety advice:

Lit candles should be placed carefully in proper holders, away from flammable objects such as curtains, furniture, clothes, bedding and books.

Never leave lit candles unattended. Put them out when you leave the room. Use a snuffer or a spoon, as sparks can fly if you blow them out

Place your candles carefully. Make sure they are on a stable surface, out of the reach of pets and children.

Do not move candles once they are lit.

Do not burn several candles close together as this might cause the flame to flare.

Burn candles in a well-ventilated room, out of draughts, vents or air currents. This will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, soot and dripping.

Always put scented candles in a heat-resistant holder. These candles are designed to turn to liquid when heated to maximise fragrance.

Fit smoke alarms and test them regularly. Working smoke alarms can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and call 999.

Make sure that everyone in your home knows what to do if a fire should occur. Practise your escape route.

To arrange from a free safety check in your home, ring 01296 744477 or email cs@bucksfire.gov.uk