Leighton-Linslade mayor, Councillor Amanda Dodwell, unveiled a new information board on the Clock of St Andrew’s School housed in the central stairway of the town library.
St Andrew’s School was opened in 1872 and to enhance the building and benefit the townsmen a Miss Willis gave the clock to the school and donated a small fund for its upkeep.
The school was demolished in 1971 but following the terms of Miss Willis’ donation the clock was saved and in 1979 put into the then new library.
Since then the information board had deteriorated and a new one was needed, Waitrose kindly stepped in and through their in-store donation system money was raised for the complete revamp of the board.
Additional history has been added and the trustees are interested to hear from anyone who has connections with the school so that the archive can be expanded.
If you have any information or photographs email Cedric Hoptroff via firstname.lastname@example.org
A detail history of the clock can be found on the society’s website leightonbuzzardsociety.com or its Facebook page, search ‘Leighton Buzzard Society’.
Pictured are Councillor Dodwell (trustee), with John Hartley (chairman and trustee of the Leighton Buzzard Society), Valerie Kyle (ex-pupil and teacher at the school) and Cedric Hoptroff (who researched the history).