Fire drama caused by appliance electrical fault?

Fire
Fire
0
Have your say

An electric fault in a small appliance is believed to have caused a fire in a kitchen that left it 25% fire damaged and the house completely damaged by smoke early this morning.

At 7.38am, Fire Control received a call from a member of the public about smoke coming from a house in Pegasus Road, Leighton Buzzard.

Firefighters from Leighton Buzzard Community Fire Station rushed the scene and when they arrived found there was a small fire in the ground floor kitchen of a two storey, semi-detached house.

They fought the blaze using a fire hose and safety jet, wearing breathing apparatus against the heavy smoke filling the property and using a thermal imaging camera to locate the source of the fumes.

The fire was quickly extinguished and found to have started amongst some small electrical appliances in the kitchen. Because the occupant was out and the house did not have a smoke alarm the smoke had not been noticed and the fire had burned on overnight.

Firefighters cleared the smoke from the property using positive pressure ventilation and the incident was closed at 8.17am.

Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service says it advises everyone to fit smoke alarms on ever floor of their property and to check all electrical appliances are switched off and unplugged before leaving the house.