Paramedics had to give a man oxygen at the scene of a house fire in Leighton Buzzard earlier today (Tuesday).
Emergency services were called to the end of terrace property in Meadow Way just before midday after a neighbour heard a smoke alarm going off.
Two fire crews attended the blaze which started in the ground floor lounge.
A fire service spokesman described it as a ‘severe’ fire which spread rapidly and produced lots of smoke and flames.
He said: “It was tackled by four firefighters using breathing apparatus. They used one hose and one jet and it was brought under control at 12.29pm.
“Oxygen was given to one man at the scene. He had been upstairs and was alerted by the smoke alarm.
“He got out safely and was in the garden when the fire crew arrived. The ambulance came but he didn’t need to go to hospital. One other person in the house was also okay”.
There is to be a full investigation and scenes of crime officers have also attended.