Linslade couple Jack and Audrey Hillyer only had four official photographs taken for their wedding album.
That’s because as well as working for the LBO, the photographer for their big day was also a part-time firefighter.
So when he received a ‘shout’ he had to abandoned their nuptials at St Barnabas Church, Linslade rather abruptly!
That was back on March 13, 1954, and now the couple, who have lived in Finch Crescent, for the past 58 years, are celebrating their diamond wedding.
Jack, 86, and Audrey, 80, first met in Parson’s Close Recreation Ground when Audrey was just 15.
A former pupil of Stoke Road and Leopald Road schools, Audrey was brought up in Soulbury Road.
She was a member of the St John Ambulance for many years and worked at Turnbulls egg packing factory in Old Linslade where her father was the foreman.
Jack was born in Hockliffe and had five brothers and was working on a farm in the village for Henry Hunt where he did hedge and ditching work for some years.
When the couple were married, Jack became a painter and decorator for several firms, including Lancer Boss for about 20 years until he retired. He now spends a lot of time on his allotment.
They have four children and six grandchildren and seven greatgrandchildren.