Man escorted from building after kitchen blaze

Fire

Fire

0
Have your say

Firefighters were called to a kitchen fire caused by cooking at a property in Delamere Gardens, Leighton Buzzard at 5.50pm on Sunday.

Crews were alerted to the incident by a neighbour who heard a smoke alarm going off.

Firefighters from Leighton Buzzard community fire station arrived nine minutes later and entered the property using triple extension ladders.

Inside they discovered a small cooker fire in the first floor maisonette. The cooking pan was removed from the heat and smothered by firefighters.

One man was escorted from the building. The fire started accidentally and the incident was closed at 6.27pm.

> After the incident, the fire service issued the following kitchen fire safety advice.

Always have a working smoke alarm in your home. Test it regularly to ensure it is working, it will warn you if a fire breaks out and give you time to escape from the property.

Take extra care if you need to leave the kitchen whilst cooking. Take pans off the heat or turn them down to prevent them overheating and catching fire;

Turn saucepan handles to prevent accidents. This will prevent you accidentally knocking them over and will keep them out of reach of children;

Take care if you are wearing loose clothing. Loose garments can easily catch fire;

Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob. These items can also easily catch fire;

Take care when cooking with hot oil. It sets alight easily and can self-ignite if left for too long;

If oil starts to smoke - it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool;

Use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer. They allow the oil to get hot enough to cook your food but not so that it will self-ignite;

If your pan of hot oil catches fire do not take any risks. Leave it where it is, turn off the heat if it’s safe to do so, then get out and ring 999;

NEVER THROW WATER ON BURNING OIL. It will go up in a fireball that will spread the fire and cause you serious injury;

Double check the cooker if off when you’ve finished cooking. Leaving the cooker on can cause residual oil, fat or grease to catch fire.