Football: Wells desperate for some good luck

LEIGHTON Town manager Craig Wells is hoping his side will have some luck in the weeks ahead as they look to address their terrible run of form.

Saturday’s 2-1 home defeat to Rugby Town was their seventh in their last nine matches, and sees them struggling in 18th place in Evo-Stik League Division One Central.

However, Leighton’s latest loss was an unlucky one as the home side controlled much of the game but failed to find the back of the net after Jerry Nash’s opening goal in the 15th minute.

Rugby, chasing a play-off place this season, hit back to take the lead before half time and held on to secure all three points to remain fifth in the table.

Wells remains determined to solve Town’s problems and is hoping some good luck will get them back on track – sooner rather than later.

He said: “It was a really good performance. That might sound like a strange thing to say after losing, but it’s true.

“Rugby are a very strong team. They’re one of the high end clubs in the league with the resources they have at their disposal. But we gave them a good game.

“And we did well without three players out suspended, so that’s a quarter of our team missing.

“We started the game very well and got the goal we deserved. We looked like we’d go on and grab a second, but it didn’t come. Their first goal was a great strike and got them going.

“And their second goal went in after a good round of ping-pong. I said to the players after the game that they were unlucky to lose.

“They need to make sure they continue to work very hard. There’s no point walking around with your chin on the floor.”

Town started confidently and after five minutes Lewis McBride cut in from the right but then powered his left-footed effort wide of the far post when a better placed shot with less power might have put the hosts in front.

However, they took the lead in the 14th minute when McBride did well down the right and played the ball in towards the near post where Nash calmly tucked the ball home.

But the goal seemed to shake Rugby into action and within five minutes they were level when a long through ball found Koloynski who had run clear of Town’s defence, and as Sam Masurek advanced from his goal the Rugby player lobbed the ball with great technique over the keeper and into the far corner.

Rugby were now looking far more comfortable and started knocking the ball around well, without Leighton getting close enough to shut them down and stop them playing.

In the 29th minute Rugby went ahead after Koloynski again caused Town’s defence some problems. The striker beat Stuart Deaton to get to the ball before driving over a waist high cross that struck a Town defender at the near post and broke loose, Youngs was quickest to react to the situation and hooked the ball between Mazurek and the near post into the net from close in.

Despite creating lots of chances after the break – McBride missing the best of them – Town were unable to find an equaliser in front of their own fans.

Next up is a home game against Bedford Town in the Beds Senior Cup on Tuesday night before Saturday’s trip to fellow strugglers North Greenford United. They then travel to high-flying Beaconsfield for a rearranged game next Monday night.