Rugby: Brilliant Buzzards remain in touch at the top

editorial image

LEIGHTON Buzzard’s Midlands 2 East (South) promotion push remains well on track thanks to a 46-11 thrashing of lowly Wellingborough on Saturday.

Their sixth win in eight games sees Buzzards stay second in the table, but leaders Huntingdon & District are still seven points clear thanks to their win over Market Harborough.

But Buzzards did what they had to do to keep up the pressure, running in six superb tries to beat Wellingborough at Wrights Meadow ahead of a crucial run of games that sees them first visit Bugbrooke on Saturday before hosting third placed Dunstablians and then travelling to Huntingdon.

After the disappointment of losing to Kenilworth by a single point in their cup meeting a week earlier, Buzzards were off the mark after seven minutes thanks to Dan David’s penalty.

The home side continued to press the visitors’ line, with their forwards having the upper hand in the scrums and quick ball allowing their backs to run at the Wellingborough line. And a break down the left wing by Graham Magill put Arran Perry in for their first try, converted by David for 10-0.

The visitors managed to get three points on the board from a penalty in front of the posts to keep the match interesting a couple of minutes later.

However, it wasn’t long before the hosts were back down the other end scoring through Euan Irwin – recently back from long-term sick leave – who showed that he is getting back to his old self by scoring on the half hour.

David again slotted home the extras and Buzzards were cruising at 17-3. But just before half time they were reduced to 14 men when the Wellingborough fly half was judged to have been brought down after a chip ahead. They added three points from the resultant penalty to make the score 17-6 at the break.

Playing the opening 10 minutes of the second half a man down, Buzzards managed to hold the Northamptonshire men at bay and keep the score at 17-6 until David stepped up for his second penalty of the day to make it 20-6.

Man of the match Ed Payne added to the points with one of his trademark snipping attacks from a penalty close to the Wellingborough line and with the extras from David Buzzards were 27-6 ahead and in control.

Then came the try of the match as captain Ryan Fraser picked up from the back of the scrum in his own half and simply bulldozed his way through the opposition to run 70 yards and score under the posts. Two more points via the boot of David and the match was effectively over at 34-6, with the bonus point also in the bag.

Wellingboprough came back and after a series of penalties spun the ball out wide for their winger to score in the corner with five minutes remaining.

Buzzards’ forwards showed their domination when Jack Micans and Fraser added two more tries before the end of the game to complete an excellent performance from the hosts.