A family wandering in the woods to find a beautiful setting for a photoshoot ended up taking a much more unpleasant picture as well.
Michelle Penny ventured into Bluebell Woods last Sunday (May 1) with her relatives and, after bagging the scenic family photo, stumbled across fly-tipped waste at around 10am.
The dumped material – later confirmed to contain asbestos – was spotted on the side of the layby at the entrance to the woods on Stoke Road.
Penny, of Sandhills, said: “We had a family photoshoot in the woods with my two children, aged 5 and 8, and their grandparents and as we left my stepdad (a site manager) pointed out the rubble and what it could be.
“It’s so disturbing to think there are such thoughtless people around.
“The woods were not what I would call busy, but those that were there had toddlers, children and dogs. I can’t quite comprehend why someone would dump such dangerous waste there.
“We called the council emergency number and got a very helpful girl who took control and promised me she would try to get highways out that day and would escalate it asap.
“I’m pleased to see it was investigated quickly.
A spokesman for Central Beds Council said: “The site was inspected yesterday (Tuesday) and logged with our waste contractor who will be removing it this afternoon (Wednesday).
“I can confirm that some of the waste did contain asbestos.”