Luton Police Station death: Six Beds Police officers to be investigated

Istiak Yusuf, 25, died whilst being held at Luton Police Station on Saturday
Istiak Yusuf, 25, died whilst being held at Luton Police Station on Saturday

Six Beds Police officers are being investigated over the death of a man in custody at Luton Police Station.

Istiak Yusuf, 25, of Purley Centre, was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence just after 8.45am on Saturday June 13, but within hours “fell ill” and died.

Luton Police Station, Buxton Road

Luton Police Station, Buxton Road

The Independent Police Complaints Commission has launched an investigation into the adequacy of searches conducted when the father-of-one was arrested and later booked into custody.

Three PCs and two sergeants have been served misconduct notices to inform them that they are being probed over the searches.

A custody detention officer has also been served a gross misconduct notice and is being investigated over a check conducted on Mr Yusuf during his time in custody.

IPCC Associate Commissioner Guido Liguori said: “Since Mr Yusuf’s death we have met with Mr Yusuf’s wife and family several times to update them on the progress of our investigation.”

Beds Police assistant chief constable Mike Colbourne added: “Following such a tragedy it is right that an open and transparent independent investigation takes place to establish the circumstances around this tragic and sudden death.

“We understand that the family and community have questions they want answered and we hope that they will receive the answers they need in a timely manner.”

During an inquest opening held on June 19, it was heard that Mr Yusuf was compliant with the arrest and that on his arrival at Luton Police Station he advised officers that the he had been “out drinking until 2am in the morning”.

It was said that Mr Yusuf was checked on at 11.35am and found “in order” but at 11.55am his condition concerned officers and an alarm was raised.

A post mortem found no suspicious injuries.