Wait for justice was like ‘having a corpse you can’t bury’

Steven Saxon
Steven Saxon

The parents of a sexually abused young girl spoke of her trauma as her attacker was jailed for four years.

Former Leighton Buzzard policeman Steven Saxon, 57, appeared at Luton Crown Court last Tuesday after being convicted of abusing the girl between 2010 and 2012.

He was sentenced to four years in prison for each of the counts of sexual assault, to run concurrently.

After the sentencing, the girl’s mother told the Observer: “It’s been a thousand day wait for justice. These three years have been absolutely trying. It’s like having a corpse that you can’t bury.”

The girl’s father added: “It still doesn’t fix the damage Saxon has done to my daughter. She’s very ill and we know it’s all because of him.

“And he’s so arrogant. When he was found guilty, all my daughter said was, ‘now he can’t do it to anyone else’.”

The girl, from Leighton Buzzard, was just ten when the abuse began. In 2012 she confided in her mother what was happening and Saxon was convicted after a trial by jury on July 24 this year.

Saxon continued to deny the offences, even after he was found guilty. In his sentencing remarks, Judge Michael Kay QC described the “cynical and calculating” way in which he had groomed his victim.

Three women accompanied Saxon to court. As Judge Kay finished sentencing, one of the women cried out from the public gallery.

Standing with tears in her eyes, she screamed: “He’s an innocent man!”

Then, turning towards the parents of the victim, she shouted, “It’s all lies!”

The girl’s mother furiously shouted back: “It’s justice for my daughter!”

Det Con Ian Clarke of Beds Police, who investigated the crime, said: “This repulsive behaviour was terrifying for an innocent young girl and something she sadly had to endure on more than one occasion.

“We are pleased the severity of this offence has been recognised and he has been jailed for his actions.”

After an early career in the military, Saxon served as a Beds Police officer for over 30 years, many of them spent in Leighton Buzzard. He had spent the last two years living in Charlton Kings, near Cheltenham in Gloucestershire.

He must serve at least half of his four year sentence, and will be placed on the Sex Offenders’ Register for an indefinite period.

The victim’s mother said: “When my daughter gets stronger and feels able to comprehend what’s happened, she’ll know she’s been listened to.

“And he’s going to suffer for every minute that she suffered.

“His life is finished. Children must speak out and parents, fight and fight on.”

The father added: “We do, to some extent, feel that justice has been done.”