Fire in wood burning stove spread to chimney

Fire and Rescue.
Fire and Rescue.

Firefighters were called to a wood burning stove fire in Totternhoe on Saturday (April 23).

Dunstable firefighters was called to the blaze at Church Green, after the call came in at 9.33pm.

Crews found the fire in the stove had spread to a lower section of the chimney flue.

Due to the difficulty of reaching it, they called in the Luton Aerial Platform which arrived at 10.10pm.

Using buckets of water, small tools and a thermal image camera, the fire was put out and the incident was closed at 10.39pm.

The fire service advise people to get their chimney cleaned regularly by a qualified chimney sweep, particularly if you have been using it a lot this winter or it has not been cleaned since the previous winter.

Debris can accumulate in the flue causing a build-up of flammable material within it or birds might nest on it, blocking it. More advice on the BFRS website