A donation in memory of a Luton woman who died after being involved in a tragic fire has been made to the burns unit at Stoke Mandeville Hospital.Friends and colleagues of Elsa Albu raised more than £4,000 in her name after her death in November 2015.
Elsa, died after suffering horrendous burns when she returned to her native Romania.
While she was there she was out celebrating her 37th birthday with her brother and friends at The Collectiv Club in Bucharest when it caught fire, killing two of her friends immediately.
Elsa and her brother, Adi, were badly burned, but managed to escape the blaze.
The pair were both treated in intensive care in Romania. Adi was released, but Elsa remained in a critical condition until she sadly died 20 days after the fire and just 24 hours before she was due to be flown to the UK to be treated.
Her colleagues at Talarius, a gaming machines company in Milton Keynes, decided to donate money to help people with burns injuries in the UK.
Paul Monkman, managing director at Talarius, explained: “Originally the money was raised to help pay for Elsa to be treated in the UK. Sadly she died before that could happen, so we are now pleased that the money has been able to be put to good use in the burns unit at Stoke Mandeville Hospital.”
Ward 11 at Stoke Mandeville Hospital has used the money to pay for four reclining chairs, a plaque in memory of Elsa, who had lived in the UK for 11 year, has also been placed in the unit.
Cathie Clark, business development manager at Talarius, said: “Elsa was lovely, she was loud and opinionated and always right! But she was also fun loving and a great member of the team who is really missed.”
Debbie Turvey, sister on Ward 11, said: “We are so grateful for this very generous donation. Elsa’s is a tragic story, but we hope it brings some comfort to her friends and colleagues to know how much this donation will help people here who have also suffered from burn injuries.”