Veterans of the Leighton Buzzard Railway were reunited during a get-together in the town.
Ninety members and former members from the early days of the Leighton Buzzard Railway - including twenty five founder members of is predecessor The Iron Horse Railroad - gathered at the Leighton Buzzard Narrow Gauge Railway.
The large attendance, from all over the country, required a five-coach train plus brake van which was hauled by two of the three earliest locomotives on the railway, Chaloner, the 1877 De Winton and Orenstein and Koppel P.C. Allen.
A break for a run-past and official photographs was made at the Appenine Way crossing and during the overlay at Stonehenge Works, passengers were able to see the new trackwork systems and to inspect the newly acquired Brigadelok locomotive.
Several former drivers were delighted to be reunited with the locomotives they drove in the early days and to find their skills undiminished.
The two little locos hauled their heavy train with ease and on the return journey were joined by two Simplex engines which formerly worked the line, nos. 42 and 43 Trotter, which was a regular performer in the Seventies when the reliability of the steam locomotives was considered to be dubious at times.
A little help was given by 43 for the climb up the 1 in 24 of Marley’s Bank which would have proved a little too much for the two steam veterans alone.
Passengers were entertained to a film and slide presentation after lunch and the weather conspired to make the day an outstanding one for the veterans.
The Leighton Buzzard Railway is based at Page’s Park, Leighton Buzzard, and the line runs to Stonehenge Works adjacent to the sand quarries which the original industrial railway was built to serve.
For further information visit www.buzzrail.co.uk