An underground electrical explosion has caused road closures in Leighton Buzzard town centre this morning.
North Street was shut between the junction of West Street and the Red Lion pub as the fire was dealt with and its causes examined.
The fire service was called at about 7.30am to the incident in Maple Mews following a small electrical fire and explosion in an underground electrical duct.
When firefighters from Leighton Buzzard arrived the fire was out and the crew made safe and tested for any gas leak but did not find one.
They left the incident in the hands of the electrical company and police.
The road in North Street has been damaged as a result of the explosion.
The incident was closed at 9.02am and no-one was injured.
Residents and motorists are still advised to avoid the area as repair work continues.
A UK Power Network spokeman said: “At 7.50am this morning (Friday) we were informed by the fire service about an incident in the West Street area of Leighton Buzzard.
“Engineers worked quickly and safely to restore supplies to 85 customers. All had their power by 8.55am. The cause of the incident will be investigated.”
Did you see or hear the incident? Send information/photos to firstname.lastname@example.org