Bunker strike earns Leighton a share of the points

editorial image

A Mark Bunker equaliser on the hour mark against Uxbridge earned Leighton Town a point on Saturday.

Matt Woods had fired Uxbridge into a 51st minute lead, but the advantage lasted only 10 minutes as Bunker cracked home the equaliser at Honeycroft.

With numbers thin on the ground for Leighton, Craig Bicknell could only name three on the bench, but it didn’t stop his side from creating the early chances.

Phil Draycott and Ash Farmer both came close in the opening 10 minutes before Uxbridge had the ball in the net, only to see it ruled out.

Leighton’s small bench got even smaller when Robbie Goodman had to be carried from the field, replaced by Harvey-Bailey Irving after just 20 minutes.

It wasn’t until the second half that Uxbridge tried to really force the issue.

Peppering Dan Green’s goal with shots, one eventually made it through to put the home side ahead.

Matt Woods and Chris Moore both seemed to be offside but with no flag up they continued to run towards goal. With Green out of his goal and only Rajaram chasing, Woods had no trouble putting the ball into the back of the net, sending Uxbridge into the lead.

But the lead would last just 10 minutes as Leighton worked an equaliser.

A ball in from Alvin Rajaram was chested down by Draycott to the feet of Mark Bunker.

He walked his way round McCarthy and sent the ball into the corner of the net, making it 1-1.

But Bunker almost conspired against his own side when confusion between him and Green almost allowed Lewis Cole in. Fortunately for the Reds, Cole was adjudged to have fouled Bunker in the melee, letting Town off the hook.

Uxbridge sensed blood in the water and piled forwards in search of the lead once more.

Gary Ridgway came to Town’s rescue with 15 minutes to go when he headed off the line.

Green was doing his part too, making a great save from Jake Groves’ cross.

With a minute to go, Leighton almost snatched it at the very death, but Kevin Warner’s header went narrowly over his own crossbar and out for a corner.

Leighton had another chance at the death when a long ball to substitute Claude Senla saw him in space, but his ball into the box wasn’t met by a Red shirt, and the chance went.

The draw means Town remain 19th in Division 1 Central with 18 points from 19 games played.

Next up for Town is a vital clash with Bedford Town on Saturday. Beds sit just one place, and one point, above Town in the league. The game at Bell Close kicks off at 3pm.