Danny’s double ensures Town’s safety with games remaining

Leighton Town's Danny Watson
Leighton Town's Danny Watson

Leighton Town moved up to 18th place on Saturday when they made it back-to-back wins with a 3-0 victory against Godalming Town.

Danny Watson’s brace and Tyrone Taylor’s header ensured the result, continuing Town’s decent run of form, losing just once in their last five.

Having lost 4-0 at home to Godalming earlier in the campaign, Town went into the game at Wey Court as the underdogs against a side firmly in the Evo-Stik Division 1 Central top 10.

Despite the home side’s early pressure, which saw Town defender Mark Bunker have to clear his lines early on, Craig Bicknell’s side matched Godalming.

And when the referee pointed to the penalty spot after when Tom Willment brought down Ash Farmer in the box, Town had their first real opportunity to go ahead.

Watson coolly slotted past Richard Ossai, who dived the wrong way, as Town took the lead after 23 minutes.

Ten minutes later, it was the turn of Town keeper Zaki Oualah to fly across his goal, making the save of the day to prevent Darren Wheeler from equalising.

Town though were seeing most of the ball in the opening half, with the home side taking desperate tactics just to get a touch.

One heavy-handed challenge on Michael Lyon just outside the box allowed Aaron Morgan the chance to double the advantage before the break, but his shot was just wide of the mark.

With Town looking comfortable at the break, it took just four second half minutes before Watson doubled the advantage with a deft lob.

A great ball by Bunker landed awkwardly for Watson but he converted the ball beautifully lobbing it over Godalming’s defence and into the back of the net for 2-0.

And it was three nine minutes later when Billy Lobjoit’s corner picked out Taylor, whose bullet header left Ossai no chance and the visitors three goals to the good.

Town could even have gone four goals up barely two minutes later when another Lobjoit set piece, this time a free kick, had Ossai flapping but there wasn’t a Leighton shirt on the end of it to tap home.

A triple substitution from the home side injected a bit more life and energy into the side trailing, but Taylor’s strike whistling just over the bar reminded them of the threat Leighton still had in them.

Godalming thought they’d pulled a goal back with 12 minutes to go, but an offside flag pulled play back and Town’s clean sheet remained in tact.

Both keepers were called into action in the closing stages - Ossai keeping out another Taylor header, while Oualah did well to deny Will Hutton as Town left Wey Court with all three points.