Decisions go against Leighton at Bedworth

editorial image

Leighton Town felt they should have had a late penalty against Bedworth on Saturday as they went down 2-1 at The Oval.

Goal-scorer Phil Draycott appeared to be hauled to the ground in the box deep three minutes from time, but was booked for diving as second place Bedworth took all three points.

The result leaves Town 19th in Division 1 Central, without a league win since October 25.

Craig Bicknell was without five first team regulars for the trip to Bedworth, but it didn’t stop Draycott from firing Town into a 25th minute lead.

Danny Watson broke clear of the Bedworth defence, drawing keeper Denham Hinds out of his goal. With a deft back heel, Watson found Draycott to slot into the unguarded net to put the visitors ahead.

The goal kicked Bedworth into gear, and by half time they’d be level.

Alex Naughton worked himself some space after shaking off Robbie Goodman but sent his effort over the bar.

He went one better six minutes before the break though. Ben Steane’s perseverance paid off as he gained possession and slipped a neat pass for Naughton to beat the offside trap and thump a shot past Tompkins from just inside the box.

Seconds later it was almost a complete turnaround as United broke quickly, Naughton finding Daniel Dubidat and the ball running for Daniel Creaney to chip just over.

Leighton started brightly in the second half, and almost regained the lead but Claude Senla’s curling effort bend just the wrong side of the post.

Bedworth were living a charmed life as Leighton had two more chances to score, one from a Draycott free kick which Hinds dived to save and one from a corner which Senla could only head over the bar.

Town were made to pay for their missed chances though as Bedworth took the lead. Tompkins managed to save a powerful shot by Naughton with his fingertips in the 53rd minute but it fell for Rowe who walked the ball into the net.

It was almost curtains for the visitors six minutes later when Rowe burst clear of the Town defence, but dawdled on the ball, allowing Alvin Rajaram time to get back and put him off his stride.

Town’s appeals for a penalty on the hour mark were waved away by the referee, but it was Draycott’s late chance which really put the nail in the coffin, and left Town licking their wounds late in the day.

Sent sprawling to the ground three minutes from time, Draycott felt he’d earned his side a penalty, but instead only got himself included on the list of bookings for diving as Town were send packing.

Next up for Leighton is a re-arranged home game tonight (Tuesday) against North Greenwood United in the Red Insure Cup.