Frustration as another game falls victim to the weather

Danny Watson
Danny Watson

Leighton Town’s topsy turvy week came to a disappointing end on Saturday as their fixture with Kettering was postponed.

After a terrific 2-0 win last weekend against Potters Bar - their first win in the win since October - , Town were sent crashing out of the County Cup at the second round stage, going down 4-1 to Arlesey at Bell Close.

And when news broke on Saturday morning that their game with third place Kettering was postponed, it capped an up-and-down seven days for Craig Bicknell’s men.

To add to their dilemmas at the wrong end of the table, Beaconsfield SYCOB, next week’s visitors at Bell Close and fellow relegation battlers, were 1-0 winners over Hanwell Town to move level on points with Leighton in 19th place.

Town’s County Cup campaign ended with a whimper rather than a roar on Tuesday night at Bell Close, as Arlesey scored three first half goals to put themselves in total command.

Harley Kelly fired the visitors into a 25th minute lead when Arlesey caught Leighton on the counter attack, leaving Gary Ridgway two-on-one at the back.

Six minutes later, the visitors doubled their advantage when Hallelujah Basmel shut down keeper Zaki Oualah, putting pressure on the keeper to make it 2-0.

Things went from bad to worse for the home side when, 10 minutes before the break, Arlesey were awarded a penalty, which George Ironton made no mistakes in converting to make it 3-0, killing the game off before half time.

Town felt they’d given themselves a lifeline though when after 57 minutes, they pulled a goal back.

Phil Draycott was the architect, breaking down the wing to cross for Danny Watson to pull one back.

Leighton continued to pile on the pressure as they searched for a slim lifeline.

The closest they came was through Ash Farmer, but his strike was cleared off the line.

And the writing was on the wall when Arlesey put the final nail in the coffin with 20 minutes to go when Liam McGovern shamed home their fourth.

There was still time for Watson to hit the post late on to sum up Town’s night.