Honours even as Town and Beaconsfield do battle

editorial image

Substitute Aaron Morgan came off the bench to rescue a vital point for Leighton Town as they drew 1-1 with fellow strugglers Beaconsfield SYCOB on Saturday.

The battle for 19th ensued at Bell Close, but Town had to come from behind to stay ahead of their opponents, both level on 24 points.

The visitors started brightly, and could have been ahead after just six minutes when Victor Osobu came narrowly close to finding the opener.

Town’s Michael Lyon was then forced to clear one off the line as Beaconsfield continued to surge forward, seeking out the opener.

They wouldn’t have to wait much longer though, when Osobu was given too much time and space to slot the opener passed Zaki Oualah after just 14 minutes to put Beaconsfield ahead.

The goal threatened to kick-start Town, but after a flurry of half chances, it was in fact Beaconsfield who came closest to scoring again.

Aaron Berry rattled the frame of the goal, while Chris Crook had to clear another chance off the line as the visitors tried to bury the game before half time.

Beaconsfield started the second half in the same manner, and were unlucky not to be further ahead, but no-one took a chance on Berry’s effort towards the far post.

Morgan entered the fray 10 minutes into the second half, replacing Robbie Goodman.

Town gradually began to find their feet, and some clever interplay between Tyrone Taylor, Billy Lobjoit and Mark Bunker came close, but earned the home side a corner.

But time was running out. Town were furious when a penalty appeal for a foul on Christian Lester was waved away by the referee, and tempers flared even more when Osobu and Bunker clashed, earning the Leighton man a yellow card.

But the home side finally got back on level pegging with 10 minutes left on the clock. Lobjoit sent in a great ball towards Danny Watson, who in turn headed across the face of goal to the on-rushing Morgan to equalise.

There was still time for Beaconsfield to snatch the victory though. Deep into stoppage time, Osobu missed an open goal, letting Town off the hook.