Leighton Town have the Bell Close blues

editorial image

Leighton Town’s home form continues to let them down as they went down 2-1 at Bell Close to Ware on Saturday afternoon.

Prior to the match, manager Mark Eaton was presented with the club’s new kits, featuring all-new sponsorship from Urban & Rural and Keith Elkington Transport.

From four games in Evo-Stick Division 1 Central, Town have lost two and drawn the other two, relying on their form on the road to keep them in 15th in the table.

Town missing a couple of defenders who were unavailable , started slowly and early on Kieran Bishop went close for the visitors .

Aaron Bufton in the home goal saved well from Alaa Oujdi as Ware dominated the opening exchanges .

However a great move down the left let Luca Semeniero in on goal but the young Town forward wasted the chance by blasting well over the bar - he should have done better.

Bishop up front for Ware was proving a handful and he headed wide when well placed and Khale Da Costa on the right was causing all sorts of problems for the home defence.

A free kick 30 yards out gave Leighton a chance and only the crossbar stopped Shayne Almond’s powerful strike from giving the home side the lead.

But despite the chance at both ends, the sides went in level at the break.

Ware came out of the blocks at the start of the second half with great pace and only a last ditch block by the hard working Jordan Jenkins stopped them going ahead early on.

It was only a matter of time though before the home defence was breached and two goals in a minute proved to be decisive.

Both came from the right where Da Costa produced two superb crosses which were both converted by the ever alert Bishop .

This setback at last got Town motivated and a few minutes later the impressive James Hatch headed powerfully home to reduce the deficit .

This should have been the signal for Town to up their game and press for the equaliser but it was Ware who were the more positive as the game went on.

Only Bishop will know how he didn’t score at least a couple more as a lack lustre Town struggled to get back into the game .

Ware were never really troubled and played out the game comfortably to take the three points home .

Manager Mark Eaton was very disappointed with this performance as only a few of his team really turned up .

There will have to be changes for next Saturday if Town are to progress in the FA Cup in the game at Cogenhoe..