Leighton Town make it two wins in a week

Phil Draycott
Phil Draycott

Leighton Town made it two wins in a week on Saturday as they cruised past high-flying Potters Bar on Saturday.

It caps a brilliant week for the Reds, who booked their spot in the next round of the FA Trophy, following a 3-1 win over Corinthian Casuals in the replay on Tuesday night.

A Danny Watson brace and a Phil Draycott strike saw Town comfortably through, and built confidence ahead of another away trip four days later as they travelled it to north London to take on Potters Bar, who started the day second in Division 1 Central.

But despite the gulf in league positions, Leighton were more than a match for Potters Bar, with Danny Watson coming closest to opening the scoring with a shot that just skimmed the top of the crossbar.

Lamar Simpson should have opened the scoring for Potters Bar but shot straight at Dan Green between the sticks.

And the home side were made to pay for the miss when, three minutes later, Phil Draycott’s ball to the far post came back off the upright and into the net, giving Leighton a well-deserved lead at half time.

Potters Bar should have been level within seconds of the restart when Green came rushing out of his net, but James Ewington fluffed his lines, putting his lob over the top.

And again, Potters Bar were made to pay for their missed opportunities as Leighton doubled their lead.

Draycott again was at the centre of the action, playing a delightful ball through to Claude Senla to coolly slot home Leighton’s second.

The home side were determined to get back into the game though, and forced Green into two fine saves to keep his clean sheet in tact.

The game was wrapped up in the 67th minute though, when a Draycott corner once more teed up Robbie Goodman to head in Town’s third of the afternoon.

The home side were denied a consolation goal when Chris Doyle’s effort came back off the crossbar, bouncing to safety - nothing falling for the home side.

The influential Draycott’s afternoon would come to a premature end though with 16 minutes to go, when Tommy Boxer used some rough-house tactics to silence the man, earning himself a booking in the process. Draycott was helped from the field, and replaced by Aaron Morgan.

Morgan livened the game up in the closing stages as Leighton continued to look well in control until the final whistle.

The win moves Craig Bicknell’s men up to 16th in the standings.

And they’re in action again tonight (Tuesday) against North Greenwood at Bell Close, kick off at 7.45pm.