Ref leaves it late to postpone Town’s game

Danny Watson
Danny Watson

The referee left his decision as long as possible, but had to postpone Leighton Town’s game with Hanwell just 15 minutes before kick off on Saturday.

With both sides ready to play, the man in charge had hoped that the wet pitch would have drained enough for the game to go ahead.

He left it as late as possible to try to get the game played but reluctantly had to call it off as he felt it was too dangerous for the players.

While it proved to be a pointless journey on Saturday, their trip on Monday night saw them pick up a point away at fellow strugglers Beaconsfield SYCOB.

Leighton started brightly, and fancied their chances of taking three vital points against the team who started the day just below them in Division 1 Central.

Mark Bunker forced the first mistake of the game when Beaconsfield Sam Bunting keeper spilled his high cross, but no-one was on hand for Town to tap home.

Leighton’s Billy Lobjoit felt he deserved a penalty in the 22nd minute when he was taken down harshly in the box, but the referee didn’t bat an eyelid and play continued.

But it was Beaconsfield who opened the scoring against the run of play. Romaine Walker played a good play through to Kofi Lockhart-Adams in the 34th minute, with only Bunker chasing him he managed to keep his cool and slot the ball calmly past Dan Green.

Leighton made two changes at half time bringing off Paul and Michael Lyon for Tyrone Taylor and Ash Farmer.

A goal from the whistle saw Leighton draw level. Draycott crossed the ball to find the head of Billy Lobjoit who headed it home to restore parity.

And they could have taken the lead nine minutes after the restart when a goal-mouth scramble saw the ball comes off the post.

A great push over the bar by Green in the 69th minute stopped Lockhart-Adams from restoring the home side’s lead, and only moments later Green denied Jordan Ajanlekoko of a goal, pushing the ball away for a corner.

Leighton thought they’d done enough to snatch all three points when they took the lead with five minutes to go. A pinpoint cross from Taylor found Danny Watson and he lobbed the ball over the keeper into the net.

The joy of the goal was short lived however when minutes later Green took down Elliot Carey in the box.

Lockhart-Adams stepped up to the penalty spot and played the ball past the fingertips of Green into the net.

A last ditch attempt to score by Draycott in injury time was stopped by Tom Gant, making it 2-2 at the end of the game.

With Leighton’s game on Saturday called off, Beaconsfield’s point against Godalming means Town drop to 20th in the league.