Rugby loss sees Town drop down

Leighton Town vs Rugby Town. Pic: Jane Russell
Leighton Town vs Rugby Town. Pic: Jane Russell

Leighton Town’s woes continued on Saturday as not only did they get beaten 3-1 by Rugby Town, they dropped to 20th in the league as a result.

Beaconsfield SYCOB’s recent resurgence in form has seen them pick up seven points from a possible 12, and jump ahead of Craig Bicknell’s men into 19th place in the Evo-Stik Division 1 Central.

Saturday’s 3-1 trumping by high-flying Rugby was Town’s second on the bounce at Bell Close, having been downed 1-0 by Marlow on Tuesday night.

From the off, Town were on the back foot and could have been behind after just three minutes when keeper Zaki Oualah had to race off his line to meet Richard Gregory who beat the offside trap.

Oualah was by far the busier keeper in the opening stages, making three vital saves to keep Town on level pegging.

But after weathering the storm, Leighton finally got the ball down, and took a 25th minute lead.

Christian Lester picked the ball up wide, and whipped in a great cross to the feet of Danny Watson in the box.

And he calmly worked his way round Richard Morris, who made a grab for the ball but failed to hold it, allowing Watson to slot it into the net.

It could have been 2-0 just before the half time but Phil Draycott fired well over the bar from a good position.

But two second half goals in quick succession shifted momentum in favour of the visitors.

An unstoppable 18 yard shot from Sam Youngs, drew Rugby level in the 55th minute and only two minutes later, after Lester received a yellow card, Robbie Burns made it 2-1 when a low shot from Youngs was parried.

And the visitors put the seal on the victory 16 minutes from time when Oualah came but failed to reach a high ball into the area, allowing Richard Gregory to calmly squeeze the ball into the net from a tight angle, making it 3-1.

Sensing a landslide victory, Rugby continued to pepper Leighton’s goal with shots, forcing Oualah into a series of stops to keep the scoreline respectable.

Town’s afternoon was summed up late in the day when they won a last ditch corner, only to it to evade everyone in a red and white shirt, and was easily cleared by the Rugby defence.

Town have the opportunity to bounce back immediately though and retake 19th place, as they take on the league’s basement side North Greenford United on Tuesday night, kicking off at 7.45pm.