Town book Vase spot with Carlahalton win

Leighton Town celebrate their win. Pic: Philip Duffy
Leighton Town celebrate their win. Pic: Philip Duffy

It was smiles all round for Leighton Town as they cruised into the next round of the FA Vase, beating Carlshalton Athletic 2-0.

The win sets up a clash away at Enfield at the end of October.

Leighton Town. Pic: Philip Duffy

Leighton Town. Pic: Philip Duffy

Playing on a state-of-the-art 4G pitch at Carshalton, Leighton took little time to adapt to the immaculate surface as they took the game to the home side.

It took Mark Eaton’s side just seven minutes to get their noses in front, when an excellent cross from the right by Kerran Birch was deflected into his own net by the hosts’ Bobby Price.

Leighton’s Alex Woodfine had a long range effort saved before Carlshalton’s Greg Andrews excellent shot was superbly tipped over the bar by Town keeper Sam Mazurek.

But Town doubled their advantage 11 minutes before the interval as Craig Maisiri beat the offside trap, rounding the goalkeeper to coolly stroke home the second of the afternoon.

He had the chance to add a third just before half time, but his strike this time was well-saved by the Carlshalton keeper.

Town should have had the game wrapped up early in the second period when a fabulous three-man move involving Gallant and Maisiri put Woodfine through clean through but his effort just went wide of the post with the home keeper stranded.

Carshalton then had a good period of possession but Town’s defence led by Hatch and Jenkins was solid and Mazurek was not really troubled in goal .

Price should have done better for the hosts but missed when clear.

At the other end home keeper Colquhoun saved well at the feet of Woodfine.

Carshalton then pressed very hard for a goal and a superb overhead kick from sub Aikhionbare crashed off the bar before another effort was cleared off Leighton’s goal line.

A free kick from Marshall just clipped the bar as Carshalton pressed.

Town withstood this pressure and calmly played out time to record an excellent win.

Manager Mark Eaton was very pleased after the match, and he hopes the confident performance will continue into Town’s league form.

They are away now to Enfield Town on October 31 in the next round.

Town will be back in action on Saturday though as return to Evo Stik Division 1 Central action against St Ives, before returning to Bell Close next Tuesday as they face Arlesey Town in the Rd Insure League Cup.