Town hold high-flying Aylesbury

editorial image

Leighton Town held high-flyers Aylesbury FC to a 1-1 draw on Saturday as they themselves kept up in the fight for 19th place.

Mark Bunker fired Town into the lead at Bell Close after 20 minutes, only for third place Aylesbury to draw level 16 minutes later.

The result was Town’s second draw in a row, meaning they are level on 32 points with Beaconsfield SYCOB in 19th, comfortably 11 points clear of the relegation zone.

Despite the positives in taking two points in as many games, Town will feel somewhat disappointed in that they needed a late equaliser against bottom club North Greenford United last Tuesday night, with Phil Draycott popping up in the last minute to rescue a dramatic draw as defeat looked imminent.

Aylesbury travelled to Bell Close on Saturday with an injury ravaged squad, while Craig Bicknell had everyone available to pick from.

Danny Watson had an early chance to head Town into the lead, but couldn’t direct it on target.

Town looked the better side in the early stages, though Billy Lobjoit should have done better but put his strike well over the bar

Finally though, Town’s pressure told after numerous chances as Leighton put the ball into the back of the net.

Mark Bunker spotted Aylesbury keeper James Weatherill off his line and lobbed the ball over his head and into the net, making it 1-0 with 20 minutes gone.

The lead didn’t last long though, just 16 minutes in fact, as Aylesbury equalised.

Bradley Wadkins, who missed an earlier chance for the visitors, didn’t waste his next opportunity, taking the ball around Alvin Rajaram, striking a low, powerful effort past Zaki Oualah to draw level.

The second half had none of the excitement and drama of the first half though.

The first real action happened on the hour when former Leighton man Aston Goss hassled Lobjoit and had a clear run towards goal, he struck the ball hard but Oualah gathered it with ease.

It was a different story on Tuesday though, with Town leaving it until stoppage time to rescue a point against bottom club North Greenford.

Playing down the slope in the first half Town looked the more lively of the two sides and in the 16th minute, Watson cleverly played a pass into Aaron Morgan but with only the keeper to beat his left footed effort lacked the required power and Pal in the home goal saved with an outstretched left leg, Watson put his follow up shot over the bar.

Leighton almost broke the deadlock after half an hour when Lyon shot just wide.

Leighton kept up the pressure and a couple of minutes after this Phil Draycott put an effort high over the bar.

The hosts stared the second half on the front foot but despite having plenty of possession they could not find a way past the Town defence. The longer the game went on the more it looked as if one goal would win the points, and that goal fell to the home side. Greenford broke away quickly and played a long ball through the Town defence and substitute Kouadja raced after the ball drove it past Oualah to give the home side the lead.

It looked as if this would earn the hosts all the points but Leighton continued to fight, and got their reward in the final minute, when Watson’s shot was parried as far as Draycott, who rattled in the equaliser.