Town remain undefeated and up to third

editorial image

Leighton Town are third in Evo-Stik Division 1 Central as their undefeated start to the season was extended to three games on Saturday.

The 2-1 win over Egham Town was their second win in a row, following Tuesday night’s triumph over Arlesey Town.

New boss Mark Eaton has supporters purring over the league table, with seven points from a possible nine leaving them staring at the right end of the table for a change.

There were early threats to the harmony among his side though, with the kit arriving late to Egham’s ground, as well as a delay to Nathan Olukanmi, who had to start on the bench as heavy traffic delayed his arrival.

James Hatch returned to the side as captain, with Ben Gallant joining Samson Alalade up front.

Both sides took a while to settle but Leighton Town created the first opportunity when Ben Gallant won a tackle just outside the Egham penalty area, the ball rolled loose but Alalade quickly touched it back to Gallant and his shot was only a couple of inches too high.

Leighton did not have to wait too long however to get the opening goal as in the 10th minute, Gallant broke through on the left and sent a low ball across the face of the Egham goal where it fell to David Brown who drove the ball back shot across goal into the net to give the visitors the lead.

Both sides had decent chances of adding to the goal tally in the first half, but with both keepers looking in decent form, Town took their narrow lead in with them at the interval.

It wasn’t until 12 minutes to go that Egham got back on level terms when full back Gondwe ran at the Leighton defence and then surprised everyone by shooting and his effort found its way past Bufton.

It was looking likely that the sides would share the points but Egham had a good chance in the 86 minute when a low ball was driven across but one of their strikers from close range put it over the bar under pressure from a Town defender.

Two minutes after this Bufton once again was required to make a fine save to keep Town level.

With the clock ticking away Town launched a final attack and when the ball fell to Jack Smith on the left he got clear of his marker and his chipped cross from a sharp angle went over the keeper and settled in the far side of the net to put Leighton back in front.

While the home fans felt their side had done enough to warrant at least a share of the points, Leighton Town left with the lot, moving them up to third in the table in the process.

Tonight (Tuesday), Town are back in action at Bell Close to take on St Ives, with kick off at 7.45pm.

And the hectic start to the season won’t relent as Leighton Town will be back at home again on Saturday for the visit of Petersfield Town, kicking off at 3pm.