Town’s torrid run continues with defeat to Potters Bar

No Caption ABCDE PNL-151228-163835002
No Caption ABCDE PNL-151228-163835002

Leighton Town lost their 17th game of 24 on Saturday as they went down 2-0 to Potters Bar at Bell Close.

Despite winning last time out against Barton Rovers, Town’s sorry run has seen them win just once in 15 games as they sit 21st in Evo Stik Division 1 Central.

Manager Stuart Murray handed debuts to new signings Lewis McBride and Jamal McKenzie-Lowe made their Leighton debuts at a wet Bell Close.

As the game began it was quite an even affair as both teams probed to try and make an impact on the game and Leighton had the first chance following a throw in on the right side but the shot was deflected wide.

The pitch was holding up very well, considering the weather recently, and Town were playing some decent football as they took the game to the visitors.

Potters Bar were looking the more dangerous side but Leighton too were trying to create chances but looked like they were being overrun in midfield and were struggling a little.

The visitors went 1-0 up in the 17th minute through Delgado following good wing play from Doyle. He turned past the Leighton full back on the right side and played a low cross into the six yard area which the first striker missed as did Kirkwood but Delgado was there to poke into an empty net being in the right place at the right time as all good strikers are.

The Scholars then went 2-0 up on the 24th minute following a dangerous free kick from the right side on the edge of the 18 yard box. The ball was swung in and Sean Grace was there to head home and he wasn’t marked well enough.

There were some improvements from Leighton after this goal following good work from the two new signings McBride and McKenzie-Lowe who tried to push Town up the pitch but the visitors cleared out this attempted attack.

By half time Potters Bar were deservedly ahead and could’ve gone 3-0 up early in the second half after Kerran Birch fouled Casey in the box for a penalty. Skipper Garry Jones stepped up to take it but Kirkwood easily saved his spot kick.

Leighton were still trying though this time it was McKenzie-Lowe with a header that was just over. The new signings were making relatively good accounts of themselves, with McBride playing in a teasing ball to Ben Gallant who just couldn’t reach it.

As the rain started to fall, so did the quality of the match as the game was starting to become a scrappy affair.

The game finished 2-0 and the visitors deserved the three points with a very good first half performance and they had a good game plan to deal with Leighton.

They were positives to take however for Leighton the new signings made a good account of themselves.

Town’s next game comes away from home against Ware, who are in the top 10, next Saturday.