Trowbridge have the edge over Leighton in closely fought game

Tom Byard. Pic: Steve Draper.
Tom Byard. Pic: Steve Draper.

Leighton Buzzaard’s up-and-down season continued on Saturday as they lost out to Trowbridge by just three points in a 10-7 defeat.

Prior to kick off, Trowbridge were just one position behind Buzzards in South West 1 East, so a close match was expected, and it’s exactly how it played out in a low scoring affair.

James Ward tries to hold up Trowbridge's attack. Pic: Steve Draper.

James Ward tries to hold up Trowbridge's attack. Pic: Steve Draper.

Leighton started well retaining possession through a number of phases but every time the ball was turned over they would be pegged back by the booming boot of the home team’s fly half.

Of more concern was the strength of the Trowbridge pack consistently driving the Buzzard scrum backwards.

It was from a penalty resulting from a scrum infringement that Trowbridge took the lead 3-0 after 10 minutes.

Things were looking ominous for Buzzards as the home team pack was taking control.

Darren Braybrook gets tackled. Pic: Steve Draper

Darren Braybrook gets tackled. Pic: Steve Draper

After 20 minutes another Trowbridge drive was held up over the line but , almost inevitably, from the resulting 5 metre scrum the home team drove over to score the try that with the conversion made the score 10-0.

However, this Leighton side have great spirit in adversity and running their limited possession they began to stretch the Trowbridge defence.

It was from one such break from their own half that the ball was quickly recycled for Wills Messum, who was outstanding on his season’s league debut, to score under the posts .

With the conversion by Dan David Leighton were trailing 10-7.

The remaining 10 minutes of the first half followed the pattern of driving pack versus running backs but both defences held firm to leave the half time score 10 -7 in favour of the home side.

Now with the benefit of the elements Buzzards looked to be favourites for their second away win of the season.

After only 40 seconds of the second half they had a golden chance to draw level with a penalty 35 metres out and almost in front of the posts.

However Dan David’s kick bounced back off the post. Five minutes later Buzzards had another penalty opportunity - Trowbridge’s left winger was shown a yellow card for a late tackle on Darren Braybrook with the resulting penalty just inside the home team’s half .

For once the strong wind abated when it was most needed and the well directed penalty attempt fell short.

Despite pressure Buzzards were unable to make their 10 minutes of numerical superiority count.

Roles were reversed ten minutes later when Tom Byard was adjudged to have tripped a Trowbridge player after spinning round in a tackle and shown a yellow card by the referee.

Leighton were finding it increasingly difficult to secure possession and therefore opportunities were limited although Ben Beaumont came close to scoring from a kick and chase.

However Trowbridge also had their chances- particularly after a succession of rolling mauls with about five minutes to go but the Buzzard defence bravely held firm.

Remarkably the second half ended pointless to give Trowbridge a narrow 10- 7 victory.

A game of contrasting styles was played between two good sides but both with excellent defences.

Buzzards returned with a losing bonus point but slip to eight. Next week they entertain High Wycombe at Wright’s Meadow.