Error-strewn Buzzards lose to Maidenhead

editorial image

Leighton Buzzard slipped to a shock defeat on the road as they went down 30-23 to Maidenhead.

Buzzards hadn’t lost since October 25 before Saturday’s defeat, but an error-strewn display put paid to their decent run of form.

From the kick off The Buzzards attacked confidently and within three minutes good handling between centres Euan Irwin and Jack Whitehouse saw the former held up just short of the line.

However the referee having spotted an earlier off side, awarded the penalty kick to Leighton. Fly half Dan David converted to give the visitors the lead.

But all their good work was undone only three minutes later when Full Back Graham Magill was deceived by the bounce off the ball allowing the home left winger to run free under the posts to give thehome side the lead.

The conversion was successful. The home side were visibly buoyed by their success and only four minutes later went further in front with a push over try.

Back came The Buzzards with an attack, straight through the middle, Number Eight Zak Tift driving through the home side to be held up just short. Fortunately, Blind Side Flanker Wills Messum was on hand to secure the ball and dive over under the posts for his first senior try. David added the extras.

Unfortunately Tift incurred an injury in this passage of play and played no further part in the match, Dan Baroux replacing him.

Just as the visitors had closed the gap, on twenty three minutes the home team capitalised on a poor kick ahead for their right wing to return with interest, scoring in the corner.

Maidenhead were giving away a lot of penalties and on thirty four minutes, one being in range, David reduced the arrears.

On the stroke of half time the home side scenting that this may be their afternoon went further ahead with another push over try making the half time score 24-13.

Leighton needed to up their game in the second half and with their very first attack Whitehouse made the break and when finally held, replacement scrum half Charlie Esdon was in support to dive over.

Unfortunately the referee decreed that the ball was grounded incorrectly and disallowed the try. However, Leighton were not to denied and only two minutes later Whitehouse finished off a good backs move to bring the visitors back in contention.

The home side, sensing this could be their day, were looking the more likely, and after fifty four minutes extended their lead from a penalty kick, the visitors being penalised for not retreating 10 metres. The score now 27–18 to Maidenhead.

Back came Buzzard, scoring the try of the game, winger Geoff Branwhite to reduce the arrears to four points.

With seven minutes remaining the possibility of a win was taken out of the Buzzard’s reach when they were penalised in front of the posts, the home number 13 making no mistake with the kick.

In the 75th minute with tempers frayed, play erupted into a brawl, the outcome of which saw the home scrum half receiving a red card and Buzzards Second Row Ed Taylor a yellow, as Maidenhead held on to take the win.