Bird on the wire sparks field fire
A bird of prey landing on the live wires of an electricty pylon could have been the cause of a field fire in Sandy on Monday.
Firefighters had to use high pressure lance, hoses, dry powder and beaters to control the blaze, which damaged 400 square metres of stubble in a field on Tempsford Road, Sandy on Monday evening.
A Beds Fire and rescue spokesman said they belived the bird of prey had been responsible for the spark. There is no news on whether the bird survived.
Elsewhere a combine harvester was damaged durting a nine hectare fire in standing corn near Edlesborough on Friday.
Field fires have occurred around the county in the last few days in Arbroath Road, Luton; Old Ford End Road, Bedford; Sundon Road, Houghton Regis (Friday 12 August) and Sundon Road, Harlington; Harlington Road, Upper Sundon; Dallow Road Luton (Saturday 13 August). There have also been several bonfires which have gotten out of control and on Friday 12 August at 5.53pm embers from a BBQ caused a small fire in Eaton Green Road, Luton.
Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service are asking people to take extra care in the countryside and with bonfires and barbeques and take these simple precautions:
>Avoid using open fires or BBQs in the countryside
>Take glass bottles and jars home, don’t leave them where sunlight shining through them could start fires
>Extinguish cigarettes and other smoking materials properly
>Never throw cigarette ends out of car windows
>Only use BBQs in suitable and safe areas and never leave them unattended
>Ensure that your barbecue is fully extinguished and cold before disposing of the contents
>Ensure the BBQ is on a flat site, well away from a shed, trees, shrubs or fencing.
>Keep a bucket of water or sand nearby for emergencies.
>Do not dispose of hot coals and ashes in bins.
>If you see smoke call 999 immediately