Defibrillator at Tiddenfoot Leisure Centre '˜locked away' while customer had heart attack

A defibrillator was locked away in a manager's office at Tiddenfoot Leisure Centre while an elderly customer had a heart attack, it has been claimed.

Wednesday, 12th September 2018, 6:00 am
Tiddenfoot Leisure Centre

The incident took place last month and a source claimed to the LBO that procedures at the leisure centre are in need of a drastic overhaul to ensure public safety.

The source said: “An elderly customer was playing badminton in the main hall when he suffered a severe heart attack.

“The defibrillator was stupidly locked away in the general manager’s office and could not be used to aid the customer as the senior management team do not work at the weekends.

“Since the incident they still leave the defibrillator locked away in the general manager’s office and the staff on duty have no access to this office.”

The claim is the latest alleged safety breach at the leisure centre.

It is understood that two staff members are still being treated for breathing problems after a suspected chemical incident in the plant room of the swimming pool in August 2017.

A Central Bedfordshire Council spokesman said: “CPR was given immediately by a staff member who saw the customer collapse, and assistance and an ambulance were called straightaway.

“The ambulance attended very promptly, and the casualty was airlifted to hospital. We understand that the customer is well again, and he has expressed his sincere gratitude to the staff involved for saving his life.”

When pressed further by the LBO about the defibrillator, the spokesman added: “Most of the staff who work in the leisure centre are first aid and CPR trained and are able to provide lifesaving support to members of the public.

“The defibrillator is a new piece of equipment for the centre but was not available for use until staff had received training, so they could use the equipment competently and confidently.

“The training has now taken place and the defibrillator is in the first aid room and available for use.”