Leighton Town slump to fourth defeat in a row

Leighton Town started 2019 with a defeat as they lost 2-1 to Potton United at Bell Close on Saturday.

Monday, 7th January 2019, 10:13 am
Updated Thursday, 10th January 2019, 1:36 pm
Leighton Town vs Potton United | Pic: Jane Russell

After two managerial changes in six months, Town will be looking for some stability this year, but also an upturn in fortunes this season as they sit 14th in SSML Premier Division.

Town started brightly and should have been ahead within the opening two minutes, but Aaron McKee fluffed his lines and fired wide of the mark.

Leighton Town vs Potton United | Pic: Jane Russell

Potton started the day in fourth spot - 10 places higher than Leighton - and began to pile the pressure on the home side, forcing Charlie Jones into two quick-fire saves, first from Aaron Murrell and then from Danny Webb.

However, it was Leighton who would take the lead. Lewis McBride, back in the side after missing the Baldock game last time out, showed a deft first touch to beat his man before firing back across the keeper and into the net.

Their lead should have been cancelled out immediately though when Murrell’s cross into the mix was somehow blasted over by Danny Webb from just two yards out.

The visitors continued to force the issue but chance after chance went awry and Leighton kept hold of their advantage into the break.

Leighton Town vs Potton United | Pic: Jane Russell

It would not take long though for the visitors to draw level - just 20 second half seconds in fact. Put through on goal, Webb made up for his earlier miss by wrong-footing Jones to slot home with ease.

Town though were gifted a glorious opportunity to retake the lead Jay Caines’ great work out on the right hand side saw him being brought down inside the area and the referee had no choice but to point to the spot.

Lewis McBride stepped up, looking to double his tally, but his penalty was a poor one, with neither power or placement and it was a comfortable save for Tyler Josephs.

After the initial flurry of action, the game settled into a midfield slug-fest, with the game heading towards a draw.

Leighton Town vs Potton United | Pic: Jane Russell

But with 13 minutes remaining, Potton made the breakthrough and took the lead.

After seeing his initial effort blocked, Jim Burnside buried the rebound at the near post to give his side the late advantage.

As Town chased the game, they almost went 3-1 down when Jones made an error on the edge of his penalty area, but recovered to make a stunning save to deny Gary Ansell-Carter.

The result meant Town extended their losing run to four straight in all competitions as they remain 14th in the table.

Town and Potton meet again this Saturday for the reverse league fixture.