Ruthless Biggleswade put Town to the sword

In a game of missed chances, Leighton Town were put to the sword by Biggleswade United as they went down 3-0 at Second Meadow.

Monday, 19th November 2018, 10:36 am
Updated Monday, 19th November 2018, 10:37 am

The difference between the sides ultimately was in front of goal, with United proving far more deadly than Town.

The result keeps Leighton 13th in SSML Premier Division ahead of next week’s trip to 10th place Leverstock Green.

Unlike in recent weeks, Town started the game at Second Meadow brightly, but should have taken the lead after just four minutes but Tom Silford fired straight at keeper Ollie Leslie. They would be made to rue the chance when, two minutes later, United took the lead through Dave Parkinson, after the skipper’s clever footwork cleared him of two Town defenders.

Four minutes later, Biggleswade doubled their advantage when Tariq Andrews found himself unmarked on the edge of the box, neatly finding the top corner out of Charlie Jones’ goal.

Having fallen two goals behind, Town rallied back. Aaron McKee saw an effort saved by Leslie, before the keeper then spilled one into the path of Kyle Faulkner, but his bicycle kick was cleared off the line by a recovering defender.

McKee once again went close shortly before half time, as did Lewis McBride, substitute Kelvin Osei-Addo and then Dom Marsala, but Town failed to make the breakthrough.

United came out purring in the second half though, and should have made it 3-0 when Joe Hawkins’ fine strike clipped the top of the crossbar, and Tony Williams missed a sitter for the home side.

Town continued to huff and puff, but struggled to create as the United defence dug in.

And in the latter stages, United put the final nail in the coffin by adding their third. Having missed earlier, Williams made no mistakes from close range, tapping into the empty net after great play down the right-hand side carved open the Town defence.

It would be a frustrating journey home for Town, having had chances to make an impact on the game, ending in their sixth loss of the season.