Town denied back-to-back victories

Leighton Town's undefeated streak extended to four games on Saturday, but let slip the lead against Wembley in a 1-1 draw.

Monday, 8th October 2018, 1:47 pm
Updated Monday, 8th October 2018, 1:49 pm
Leighton Town

Following on from Tuesday’s 2-1 win over London Colney, Town, George Dentice prodded Danny Nicholls’ side into the lead 11 minutes into the second half.

But an equaliser 15 minutes later for the home side denied Leighton back-to-back victories, though extended their undefeated streak to a month as they sit 13th in SSML Premier Division.

Leighton then had their first real opportunity of the game just before the 30th minute mark. The ball broke for Kyle Faulkner in the penalty area and his shot was kept out well by Wembley goalkeeper, Montel Joseph.

It wasn’t a half that will live long in anyone’s memory, although Aaron McKee nearly changed that, when the ball broke to him around 25 yards out. His shot whistled past the top left corner.

Town took the lead on 56 minutes when Dentice and Dom Marsala broke through on goal, and though his saw his first effort blocked by the Wembley keeper, Dentice was not to be denied his first goal in Leighton colours to put them in front.

The Town nearly doubled their lead, when Aaron McKee played an exquisite ball out to Matt Hall on the left flank. Hall struck the ball with venom, but it was saved well by Joseph. That would be Leighton’s last real chance, before they conceded an equaliser on 71 minutes.

Town lost the ball in midfield and then conceded a free kick just inside their own half which was delivered into the box and nodded home at the far post.

With the game heading towards a draw, Wembley had a glorious chance with five minutes remaining to snatch all three points but despite being through on goal, the Wembley striker fluffed his lines and fired wide of the mark.

Town return to action on Saturday when they travel to Hadley, before entertaining Baldock in the Premier Division Cup at Bell Close on Tuesday October 16.